This is the HelenOS user's guide. It covers a wide spectrum of topics related to everyday activities of a HelenOS user. The topics are thematically grouped into a couple of categories that roughly correspond to getting HelenOS up and running, getting familiar with the running HelenOS environment and using various HelenOS subsystems. Each topic comes in a dedicated article linked from this page.
Read this guide carefully before posting questions to the mailing list.
This guide is not complete and always in need of improvements.
- UsersGuide/QuickStart: Quick and easy way to get HelenOS up and running in close to no time.
Downloading, booting, installing and building
- UsersGuide/RunningInQEMU: Running HelenOS in QEMU on different architectures
- UsersGuide/RunningInVirtualBox: Running HelenOS in VirtualBox
- UsersGuide/SPARC: Booting HelenOS on SPARC
- UsersGuide/Installation: Installing to hard disk in QEMU
- UsersGuide/CompilingFromSource: Compiling HelenOS from source
Playing with the environment
- UsersGuide/GUI: Moving virtual terminals around
- UsersGuide/Console: Switching VCs. Mostly. (obsolete)
- UsersGuide/Shell: Navigating in the bdsh. The primary way to control the system.
- UsersGuide/Editor: Using the HelenOS text editor.
- UsersGuide/TextEditing: Common Text Editing Keys. If it can edit text, it supports these controls.
- UsersGuide/CommandReference: List of commands you can run from the shell.
- UsersGuide/KernelConsole: Kernel hacker's penultimate tool to debugging the system.
Going deeper into the subsystems
- UsersGuide/TasksMonitoring: See what is running on the system, killing tasks
- UsersGuide/ServicesAndDevices: Introduction to Services and Devices
- UsersGuide/DisksFileSystems: Disks and File Systems
- UsersGuide/Networking: Configuring and using TCP/IP networking
- UsersGuide/Audio: Audio devices and applications