Release Notes for HelenOS 0.9.1
HelenOS 0.9.1 (Armonia) was released on May 11, 2019.
This document contains a summary of changes made to HelenOS since release 0.8.0.
Special Notes for this Release
This release brings support for a new 64-bit architecture and improves usability of HelenOS on several already supported platforms. It also extends support for dynamic linking to more architectures.
This release brings a small change in the version numbering scheme. Since there are two releases per year, the first one is 0.<YEAR-2010>.1 and the second one is 0.<YEAR-2010>.2. Note that the agile bi-annual release cycle might produce releases that are slightly less "polished" in certain aspects, but it is also a driving force towards turning HelenOS into a production-ready operating system in the near future.
- Dynamic linking is now supported and enabled by default on amd64, arm32, ppc32 and sparc64 (in addition to previous support on ia32)
- Support for the MIPS Malta machine was improved by enabling serial console input/output both in the kernel console and also for the user interface.
- Support for arm64 architecture (AArch64) was added. The port can run on the QEMU ARM Virtual Machine.
- Support for serial console on the sparc64/sun4u machine was improved by enabling it in the kernel in addition to the already enabled support in the user interface.
Services and Drivers
- New specialized utility
pcifor listing PCI devices
- Plus corresponding backend support in the PCI driver
- Added driver for
virtio-blkblock devices. Use
-hdd virtio-blkto enable in QEMU. So far this works only on ia32 and amd64.
Fixed Logged Bugs & Enhancements
- For the list of all logged defects fixed in this release, see this report.
- For the list of all logged enhancements integrated in this release, see this report.