Release Notes for HelenOS 0.7.1
HelenOS 0.7.1 (Enlightened Zeal) was released on November 12, 2017.
This document contains a summary of changes made to HelenOS since release 0.7.0.
Special Notes for this Release
- HelenOS is still an experimental operating system at this point in time and support for many platforms and hardware devices is not production-ready. For the time being, the agile 6-month release cycle might therefore produce releases that are slightly less "polished" in certain aspects, but it is also a driving force towards turning HelenOS into a production-ready operating system in the near future.
Features Introduced in This Release
- This is the last release which uses the Bazaar version control system (VCS). Future releases will use Git.
- The system can again be built by clang for amd64
- Basic support for capabilities
- IPC phones have in fact been a sort of capabilities since the beginning. This work generalizes some of the IPC code to support more kernel object types.
- IRQ structures are now managed using capabilities. It is no longer possible to unregister someone else's IRQ.
- The limit of 64 IPC phones has been removed and is now virtually infinite.
- The kernel is now using the resizable hash table which has been already used in uspace since 2012.
Services and Drivers
- The naming service was converted to use the async framework
- CUDA driver was converted to the Device Driver Framework
- The interrupt controller drivers were converted to using the Device Driver Framework
- User can now unload an idle driver using
- Framebuffer now gets mapped only when actually used
- All file system operations are relative to a specified node, client-side root
- Mountpoints are no longer stored in the filesystem servers, but in VFS
- Inbox mechanism for passing files from parent to a new child
- Client-side I/O cursors (file positions)
- Overhaul of the client interface; all APIs begin with the vfs_ prefix and can be used after including vfs/vfs.h
- Removal of some POSIX-ish headers and definitions
- File system probing
- Volume label support
- Lots of networking fixes in TCP, DNS and HTTP protocols
- TCP unit tests
pkgutility was added which allows installing packages from ci.helenos.org into a running instance of HelenOS
- Effort towards greater C11 compliance and a cleaner cut between HelenOS-specific, C11 and POSIX code
- io/table module to print tabular output (used by devctl, inet).
Fixed Logged Bugs & Enhancements
- For the list of all logged defects fixed in this release, see this report.
- For the list of all logged enhancements integrated in this release, see this report.