Release Notes for HelenOS 0.7.0
HelenOS 0.7.0 (Parabolic Potassium) was released on April 4, 2017 and represents a major release with lots of new features and bug fixes.
This document contains a summary of changes made to HelenOS since release 0.6.0.
Special Notes for this Release
- This release represents the first step in the planned switch to the more agile bi-annual release cycle. HelenOS is still an experimental operating system at this point in time and support for many platforms and hardware devices is not production-ready. For the time being, the agile bi-annual release cycle might therefore produce releases that are slightly less "polished" in certain aspects, but it is also a driving force towards turning HelenOS into a production-ready operating system in the near future.
Features Introduced in This Release
- Improved support for the sun4u machines
- Added basic support for user space paging
- Many bugs discovered and removed thanks to verification tools
- Improved dynamic linking
- Dynamic linking is now enabled by default on ia32
- Improved the IPC abstractions by introducing interface types
- The SYS_TLS_SET syscall for configuring thread-local storage has been removed in favor of user space-driven TLS management
Services and Drivers
- USB support revamped
- Added support for USB 2.0
- uhcirh driver removed as its functionality moved to uhci driver
- Intel HD Audio recording support (experimental)
- Completely new, unified partitioning architecture
- Partitions are now enumerated automatically
- fdisk utility replaces hdisk (vastly improved user experience, all changes are applied to running system state)
- Many ext4 improvements and bug fixes
- Transport layer API was completely redesigned/reimplemented
- Improved connection stability
- No longer imitating BSD sockets
- Added basic support for Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11) network devices and authentication methods
- sysinst prototype installer to install HelenOS on a hard disk
- libmath expanded to cover all C89 math functions (only generic/non-optimized implementation), including single-precision variants from C99
- Optimizations of the heap memory allocator
- XCW (Cross Compiler Wrapper) tools
- Can be used by out-of-tree application to cross-compile for HelenOS
- The application is written against native HelenOS (non-libposix) environment
- The application's build system is aware it is cross-compiling for HelenOS
Regressions in This Release
- Support for sparc32 machines (LEON3 CPU) has been removed due to the lack of proper maintenance (no hardware or easily accessible emulators avaiable)
Fixed Logged Bugs & Enhancements
- For the list of all logged defects fixed in this release, see this report.
- For the list of all logged enhancements integrated in this release, see this report.