|Version 4 (modified by 9 years ago) ( diff ),|
Release Notes for HelenOS 0.6.0
HelenOS 0.6.0 (Elastic Horse) was released on December 21, 2014 and represents a major release with lots of new features and bug fixes.
This document contains a summary of changes made to HelenOS since release 0.5.0.
Special Notes for this Release
- This release contains experimental support for several hardware platforms that weren't supported in the previous releases (or whose support was broken due to a lack of testing machines). Nevertheless it should be noted that the support for these platforms is still basic and not production-ready.
- HelenOS/arm32 supports BeagleBoard-xM, BeagleBone and Raspberry Pi
- HelenOS/mips32 supports Malta
- HelenOS/sparc32 supports LEON3
- HelenOS/sparc64 support for sun4v machines has been partially revived
- A preview of this release participated in the QEMU Advent Calendar 2014. There is a step-by-step tutorial to demonstrate the features of the preview, but it also applies to the release.
Features Introduced in This Release
- GUI on platforms that provide a graphical framebuffer. A traditional TUI with multiple virtual consoles is provided on other platforms.
- Note that the hot-key to activate the kernel debugging console has been changed to Pause / Break / F15.
- Audio support
- Networking has basic support for IPv6. IPv4 stack supports basic auto-configuration using DHCP.
- Tasks are allowed to terminate even if they have unanswered IPC messages
- Support for guard pages
- Support for large user stacks
- Kernel serial driver for amd64, arm32/IntegratorCP and ia32
- Scrollback support in the kernel debugging console
Services and Drivers
- CMOS real time clock driver
- Input driver for the isdv4 tablet
- Sound Blaster 16 audio driver
- Intel High Definition Audio driver
- Driver for the Realtek 8169 and compatible Ethernet adapters
- Mouse on IntegratorCP is now supported
- Support for blink(1) RGB LEDs
inputserver now supports Arabic keyboard layout.
- Added Remote framebuffer protocol (a.k.a. VNC) server
- Converted some drivers to DDF (ata_bd, pl050)
- The read-only
ext2fsserver was superseded by a more complete
ext4fsserver, with write support and some aspects of ext3 and ext4
- Read-only UDF support in the new
- CDFS now supports the Joliet extension to ISO 9660 (Unicode long file names)
- Display disk usage / free space information —
nicutility to query and manipulate the state of the present NIC adapters
- Initial IPv6 support
- DNS host name resolution
- Automatic network configuration via DHCP
- SLIP protocol support
- HTTP downloader tool
- Usability improvements of the
untarutility (non-compressed tarballs only)
wavplayplays Wave Audio File format (.wav) files
modplayplays Amiga-style tracker modules (.mod, .xm)
barberas GUI activity indicator
- New automatically resizing hash table container type.
- Userspace logging framework and
printf()support for floating point numbers.
Fixed Logged Bugs & Enhancements
- For the list of all logged defects fixed in this release, see this report.
- For the list of all logged enhancements integrated in this release, see this report.