Port QEMU to HelenOS
|Reported by:||svoboda||Owned by:||vhotspur|
|Keywords:||gsoc12, gsoc13, gsoc14, gsoc15||Cc:|
|Blocker for:||Depends on:|
Description (last modified by decky)
Port QEMU emulator to HelenOS
QEMU is a machine emulator that is able to emulate environment of various
hardware platforms, including PC, PowerPC, ARM or SPARC.
The goal of porting this emulator to HelenOS is to allow developers run the emulation of HelenOS inside HelenOS. It is unlikely that single person would be able to port all features of QEMU to HelenOS. First of all, the scope of QEMU is really big (it offers also means for virtualization) to be ported during such short period. Next, HelenOS itself may not provide all the functionality needed (for example, there is no port of SDL to HelenOS and the graphical toolkit in HelenOS offers only very limited set of features).
Because of these limitations, the applicant shall choose a reasonable subset of QEMU features (e.g. it is not necessary to support all emulated peripherals) and focus on porting these. On the other hand, the solution must provide functional emulator with at least rudimentary graphical output.
- What Gains and Benefits will this bring?
- The biggest benefit of this task is in the ability to run HelenOS inside HelenOS, thus possibly speeding-up development process and, as a more distant goal, develop HelenOS fully inside HelenOS. Also, the ability of an OS to run inside itself (i. e. be self-hosting) can be seen as a proof of maturity of the system.
- Medium to High
- Required skills
- A successful applicant will have good skills of programming in the C language and the ability to survive in a non-standard non-POSIX application environment. Previous experience with development of machine emulator or some virtualization tool would be beneficial to the applicant.
- Possible mentors
- HelenOS Core Team, Vojtech Horky
Change History (15)
comment:5 Changed 5 years ago by jermar
- Component changed from helenos/unspecified to helenos/app/other
comment:14 Changed 12 days ago by vhotspur
- Resolution fixed deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.